My Photo
Name:
Location: WA

Monday, September 11, 2006

San Marcos

I haven´t had much access to the net, so I haven´t been able to upload more photos. I´m in San Marcos now. Today we visited a controversial mining project by Glamis Gold - they were recently bought by a larger corporation. We also visited the communities of Finca Delicias, Finca San Jeronimo and Finca La Fabrica. They live on coffee plantations, but are in the middle of labor disputes with the owners. They are occupying land as a political statement until they are compensated for being fired illegally. This means they can´t cultivate the land and they are blacklisted from being hired elsewhere. They have very little means of feeding their families and many times rely on the Catholic church for subsistence.

I´ll upload pictures soon!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home